It's week three of my new online critique group so here's a brief update before I talk about my CONTEST again. I've received good critiques on two submissions from the other three members. I think they all have some good suggestions and their own strengths so that pleases me. We're also supposed to send our feedback to the others so they can see what we did with more than their own. This part needs a little work but I think we'll get the hang of it. There's always some tweakage at first. All seem ready to do their part. So far so good.
I have to admit--contest entries have been sparse. You have until Friday so can I motivate you at all? Take ten minutes to write out something like the following and you could win a $10 gift card. Sounds worth trying to me.
Here's the alliteration that sparked this contest, written by my father with the help of his father:
Slim Summerville slowly sauntered seaward. Several sailors suddenly seeing Slim's subconscious surroundings slyly stole Slim's shorts, socks, shoes, shirt.
Give it a try and who knows, you could be a winner!
THE RULES: (They're really easy!)
1. You must be a follower of my blog to enter. Just click on the Follow This Blog tab on the sidebar and complete.
2. Tell a mini-story using alliteration. Hint: The best stories have a beginning, middle, and end or feel complete. Use any type of alliteration you desire.
3. Words and subject matter should be free from vulgarity and suitable for public reading or they will be disqualified. Entries must be in English.
4. I reserve the right to reprint on this blog any submission I desire, giving credit to the author. The rights to your work remain yours. The work must be the sole effort of the entrant.
5. Entries or questions about the contest should be sent to:
by Friday noon EST on February 8, 2013. Include your name, e-mail, and a title for your entry.
6. The GRAND PRIZE winner will be my opinion of the submission that most closely represents the inspiration of this contest as shared below. In other words, the longest story with the fewest non-alliteration words. Other submissions that I might love (they inspire, surprise, elicit humor or other emotions) will receive recognition from this blog in future posts and may or may not also receive a prize. I reserve the right to enlist other judges if the volume of submissions becomes more than I can handle.
7. Prizes. The grand prize winner will receive their choice of an Amazon or Barnes & Noble Gift Card of not less than $10. Winners will be announced beginning Monday February 11, 2013.
8. Have fun with it! That's the name of the game, James.