Monday, June 8, 2015

A Book Spotlight, A Blog, and Finding Motivation


Mothering through the WhirlwindWaiting in an airport lobby, I recently read a thought-provoking mini-book by Tamara Passey called Mothering Through the Whirlwinds. I found it an appropriate prelude to the reason for my trip. I would spend ten days mothering three rambunctious little boys while their mother was on bed-rest in a hospital, avoiding her baby coming too early. I knew what I was in for--having six children of my own--but my body wasn't young anymore, and I was out of practice. I determined to give it my best shot. My motivation? I'm their grandmother and my daughter needed me.

Tamara writes that her book is less of a How-to manual and more of a How-I-Found-My-Way story. I found it very inspiring and recommend it to mothers everywhere. She relates some personal hardships in an I'm-just-like-you manner, sharing hope and the wisdom of her experiences.

Tamara and Renae at LDStorymakers Writers Conference 2015
That is what I strive to do with this blog. My 'writespot' shares tips and experiences that express my journey as I grow into a writer. This is my How-I-found-my-way writing journal. Writing is a hard goal, but we can do hard things when we have motivation and support. Just like a grandmother who is willing to care for her grandchildren or a tired mother who continues through the challenges. You can do hard things too!
I passed the book on to my daughter before returning home. She's going to have more whirlwinds to come with those wonderful boys and now a 4 1/2 pound daughter in the NICU. I'm not too worried about her; she'll have motivation and support. It makes me grateful for the support team of my husband, critique group, and many writer friends. A big motivation for me is loving my story and seeing my manuscript improve through critique comments and revisions. It's a long, hard road. But I can do hard things too!


2 comments:

T Passey said...

Thank you Ranae! How sweet of you to post this, today of all days! It sounds like your daughter is in good hands with support and a great example in you. Glad my book found its way to you at a good time.

Mary Ann said...

What a lovely post! I've been on both ends as a young mom and now as a grandmother. As a young mom I had hyperemesis and I'd be down in bed almost monthly. Grandma to the rescue! I honestly don't know how I would've made it through those rough days without her.

Her example has been my motivation for taking care of my girls when they are down, and I know they will continue on with their daughters.

I also like what you said about writing. This is a journey to be enjoyed.