Monday, October 5, 2015

Taking Calculated Risks in Marketing



An airshow demonstration pilot might appear to take radical risks when in reality, much training and precision is implemented. A solid foundation of scientific principles is at the core before calculated experimentation is tested. Authors take a risk every time they put their work before a critique group, an agent, or launch a book for public scrutiny. Getting noticed might take some out-of-the-box thinking. Start with common advice from trusted sources and branch out with your own experimentation from there.
 
In reading marketing tips, I've always skipped over one on the list that didn't seem to apply to me--until now. The TIP: Write an article on your book's topic of expertise for a magazine or newspaper. I don't consider myself any kind of expert and my LDS audience is considered a niche, so it seemed both pointless and out of my comfort zone. However, we never know when all the info we file away in our brains will make sense. I was thumbing through an independent bookstore catalogue and noticed that they sometimes include recipes or filler articles that go with a theme or advertised book. The aha moment came. My scripture-based fiction would be advertised alongside scriptural study aides and LDS fiction. I wrote a short article about that happy middle ground zone between study guides and pleasure reading, to go with my upcoming release of Secrets of the King's Daughter: A Book of Mormon Romance.

I revved up my bravery factor and tracked down the merchandiser to ask if I could submit a filler article for their catalogue. I learned that they tend to feature books from a different publisher, but if it was general enough, they would consider it. That chance was all I could ask for. Here's hoping. 

Or maybe a new aha moment will appear out the sky.

No comments: